Dear Ma:

I am going to compile this note by copying my diary as possibly that is the easiest and at the same time most enlightening (to you) way of doing it. Please let Aunt Nina see it and then send it on to Marjorie. If I ask like this to have letters sent around, I hope you will do it as it will save me writing that many more accounts of my adventures and also please send them to just the people I mention, as then I can plan my writing accordingly.

April 29

Sunday, but no one would know it. Sky overcast and quite a sea running which grew during the day. A number were sick, but I have escaped so far. This morning we loafed around on deck. In the afternoon, some of us walked 80 times around the ship - about 10 miles.

223 miles till noon

April 30

Rather warmer today, but sky still overcast. More fellows appeared at table, but many are still in their bunks. The sea is less choppy and the big rollers lay the ship way over. This afternoon we saw a ship way off on the horizon. Food fine - ate mostly on deck.

323 miles from noon yesterday till noon today.

May 1

Still overcast and stormy. Cold. The sea seems to be getting rougher daily, but we are getting used to it. The greatest happening of today was when John Hurlburt rolled out of his bunk about 4 A. M. Spent most of the day in my steamer chair on deck letting the deck steward feed us tea, boullion, sandwiches and crackers.

321 miles

May 2

Very rough today. Could hardly see the horizon from the deck when we were down between some of the waves. Less doing than yesterday. Bruce Hopper told us stories of Hawaii most of the day.

338 miles

May 3

Woke up at 10:30 this morning. Fine clear day. Everybody feels better for the change from stormy weather. Had our first lifeboat drill. Saw how the boats were lowered. Tried on life preservers and were told where to embark. Stayed up till 1 A. M. singing with the gang.

342 miles

May 4

Wonderful weather and fine smooth sea. Slept till nearly noon. We are eating so much that they are speeding up the boat so that the food will last till we reach port. The men cleaned up the guns today and the boat is having a new coat of gray paint. A whale appeared this afternoon.

360 miles

May 5

Weather still wonderful. Saw a four-masted square rigger with every sail set and a school of porpoises today. Learned from talking to the crew that we went as far North as Halifax before we cut South. Watches will be doubled tonight. Due at Bordeaux Tuesday.

365 miles

Enter danger zone about 11 tonight.

By the way - I have learned from men who have been over that when one sends things across, i. e., packages of small things, that it is better to make up two or three tightly tied small packages which would be securely wrapped and hard to open rather than one big bulky one. The customs sometimes don't put back all the little things into a big package if they take a fancy to opening it and they are not inclined to open all the small packages. It also seems that the hardest things to get are soap that really cuts grease and American tooth paste, etc. Chocolate is also hard to get at the front proper.

May 6

Two ships and two whales were seen this morning. The fore and aft guns were trained on them and there was quite some excitement for awhile. Last night some 10 fellows slept on deck, but nothing has happened and it seems as though they were pretty well on the lookout. Nothing more exciting till this evening when we sighted a number of lights, possibly Cape Finister and others on the Spanish coast. Grew foggy toward evening. All lights including port and starboard running lights were put out. We were all told to sleep with our clothes on. Lifeboats were swung out early this morning. The phosphorescence in the water tonight was quite marked.

354 miles

May 7

Foggy, gray and cold. The sea is more like it should be considering the size of it and less like a duck pond. Croote says that we wait to return by aeroplane or till a bridge is built. Shot for typhoid this afternoon (2nd dose). Nothing else happened this afternoon except that it began to rain. Customs inspectors to come on tomorrow at six. Due to land at 8 A. M.

375 miles

Only 195 to go at noon today.

Now, as I have to mail this before I get off the ship, I cannot carry it any further. As to things I may want. So far it has been rather hard to discover anything but a T shirt (chest size 38) will fit in very handily and I also discovered that a great many people are sending over sugar as that is hardly obtainable. I would like a can of Neatsfoot oil and a paint brush about 1 1/2 or 2 inches wide for use caring for shoes as that is said by the men on board who have been over as the handiest and most useful method of oiling shoes as grease makes it hard to pack shoes next to other things. Marj. sent a telegram to the boat saying that she could not get down because of her friend, so please send this to her as I only dropped her a short line of thanks c/o he pilot boat for the said telegram.

Well, I guess this is a fairly complete history and being so, I have very little more to say. We haven't had any news of the U. S. for 5 days but I hope everything is going all right. You might let Mr. and Mrs. Butler know that you have heard from me as they wanted me to write but I haven't really had a chance, strange as that may sound. Really looking back the trip seems to have gone very fast. We are thoroughly in the danger zone now and they are going to put out the lights in just a moment so I must stop.


P. S. All little commodities are of course acceptable Feeling fine as I have all the way.

H. L. W.